Hi! I am Zhanwen Chen (he/him/his), a Ph.D. student the at the Reasoning and Knowledge Discovery (RISE) Lab at The University of Georgia.
My CV is here
I am fascinated by one research question: how to develop computational systems that could extract, understand, accumulate, and reason with syntactic knowledge from videos and text? I try to ground this long-term goal to the following problems:
- How to apply both syntactic and semantic knowledge in answering visual-textual questions
- Answering questions with social/emotional reasoning: (ICDL '20)
- Learning with small, well-characterized datasets or by imitation
- How to translate from natural language specifications to programming languages and back
- Broadly, how to make robots reason with both vision and language
Characterizing Datasets for Social Visual Question Answering, and the New TinySocial DatasetZhanwen Chen, Shiyao Li, Roxanne Rashedi, Xiaoman Zi, Morgan Elrod-Erickson, Bryan Hollis, Angela Maliakal, Xinyu Shen, Simeng Zhao, Maithilee Kunda
Joint IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning and on Epigenetic Robotics (ICDL), 2020.[Paper] | [Presentation]
Noise Suppression in Ultrasound Beamforming Using Convolutional Neural NetworksZhanwen Chen
Compact Convolutional Neural Networks for Ultrasound BeamformingZhanwen Chen, Adam Luchies, Brett Byram
IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2019[Paper] | [Code]
- Application Developer, Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- Full-Stack Web Developer and Data Scientist, Basil Systems Inc.
- Post-Baccalaureate Web Technologist, Five Colleges Inc.
- Software Engineering Intern, Pitney Bowes
- Information Services/Information Technology Intern, Nestle Waters
- Vanderbilt University Graduate Student Travel Grant to Present Research, 2019
- Inroads Scholarship Award, 2016
- 3rd Place, Area Contest, Toastmasters International Speech Contest
- Speed Up PyTorch by Building from Source on Ubuntu 18.04
- Install CUDA 10.0 and cuDNN 7.5.0 for PyTorch on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Install OpenCV 4.0.1 from Source on MacOS with Anaconda Python 3.7 to Use SIFT and SURF
- Deploy a Trained RNN/LSTM Model with TensorFlow-Serving and Flask, Part 1: Introduction and Installations
I'm a classically trained pianist and a singer (baritone). My favorite composers are J.S. Bach, Sergei Rachmaninoff, and Francis Poulenc. Fun fact: at one point in life I almost became a professional pianist but I decided against the conservatory life. Here's me in concert (I come in at 1:07):
I love hiking and kayaking. I went on my first kayaking trip in Summer 2020 and since then the Vanderbilt ML armada has been terrorizing the rivers of Tennessee. I also enjoy traveling (pre- and hopefully post-COVID) and cooking various cuisines.
My first kayaking trip, 2020
The Vanderbilt ML Armada, 2020
With my girlfriend Angie and our puppy Margeaux in front of the Christmas tree in Franklin, Tennessee, 2020
Roaming the Scottish Lowlands, 2019
Kung Pao Chicken, Lomo Saltado with Aji Verde, Plátanos Maduros, 2020